Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Angry Verbs Part 1: Past, Present, and Future Tenses


Let’s review a bit. Verbs are action-packed words that represent an action or a state, or both. Verbs also represent the time the action happened. This action could be in the past, in the present, or in the future. These different forms are called tenses.

A verb in the past tense is something that has happened before. They usually end in –ed. The present tense is something…in the present. Like, right now at this time. The future tense illustrates something that is yet to happen. Let’s have an example:

Luke, I am your father. (The verb ‘am’ is in the present tense)
Luke, I was your father. (The word ‘was’ is in the past tense. He disowned him.)
Luke, I will be your father. (‘will be’ is future tense. I guess he’s planning to adopt him?)

When writing in the present tense, you must make the verb agree with the subject. So consider whether the subject is singular or plural:

They laugh. (Plural)
He laughs. (Singular)

Add –ed to verbs in the past tense:

He laughed like crazy.

Note that not all verbs in the past tense end in –ed. These are called irregular verbs:

He drove me crazy.
I lost my mind.

For the future tense, just add will to the normal form of the verb.

He will laugh like crazy.


Are verbs driving you nuts? Don’t worry—mastery comes with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment